Are you interested in Irish folklore and would you like to start learning the language in which these tales were originally told? If so, then this brand new course would be perfect for you.
This 10 week course will give learners an introduction to Irish folklore and the Irish language. Irish placenames and Gaelic festivals will be discussed during the course. Gaelic folklore, superstitions and customs related to marriage, the house, the weather, remedies, food, and many more topics will also be discussed. The Irish language will be taught in the context of these course topics and will incorporate both daily-spoken language and phrases or proverbs related to the topics.
What does this course comprise?
- 20 hours of live classes online
- A digital handbook filled with high-quality learning materials
Who is this course for?
The course is suitable for those who are not already familiar with Irish, including complete beginners. It’s aimed at those who would like to learn more about Irish folklore while simultaneously being introduced to the Irish language. If desired, learners can continue on to complete a full Irish-language course with Gaelchultúr following this.
Below are the learning outcomes for students who successfully complete the programme:
- You will enhance your knowledge of Irish folklore and how it relates to the Irish language and contemporary Ireland.
- You will enhance your knowledge of Irish heritage and culture.
- You will learn basic Irish language skills. You will be able to provide a simple description of yourself and you will know Irish phrases or proverbs such as superstitions related to the course topics.
The course will last ten weeks and will comprise a two-hour class each week. The entire course will be held online. The communicative approach to teaching will be employed which will give you the opportunity to play an active part in each class. A strong emphasis is placed on group and pair work throughout the course.
This course was developed and will be taught by Réaltán Ní Leannáin. Réaltán has worked for many years as a lecturer in education but now teaches and practices creative writing, and she has received awards in both these fields.
Our teaching approach
Gaelchultúr has developed comprehensive syllabuses and every class at every level follows these syllabuses.
The communicative approach to language teaching is used by Gaelchultúr’s teachers, giving learners the opportunity to play an active part in each class.
A strong emphasis is placed on group and pair work and learners therefore have a chance to practise what they’ve been taught. The main focus is on speaking and listening in all classes (with the exception of Cruinneas sa Ghaeilge), but reading and writing activities also feature.Learn more about us
Terms and Conditions
- Course fees may be refunded in full to a learner up to five working days prior to the commencement of the course. The refund must by requested by contacting Gaelchultúr’s staff by email or by phone. (Our contact details can be found here.)
- If, following the first class, the student decides that he/she would like to discontinue the course, 60% of the total fee will be refunded to him/her. Thereafter, no refund will be made to the student.
- Gaelchultúr Teoranta has the right to cancel a class or to amalgamate classes.
- If it is necessary to cancel a class, every effort will be made to place the participants in another class or to register them for an online course. A full refund will be made to the customer if these options do not suit him/her.
- A student may defer his/her registration only once. If he/she wishes to defer registration, he/she must notify Gaelchultúr’s staff of this by week three of the course. No refund will be made to the student if he/she does not accept a place on the next course he/she is due to attend.
- Gaelchultúr will accept no responsibility in the event that a student registers at the wrong level. We advise our students to do our online Irish test or to seek our advice to ensure that they are undertaking the correct level.
- If a student wants to move to another level, we cannot guarantee that a space will be available for him/her at that level. Should a space be available, Gaelchultúr will charge a €10 administration fee for making the change. A change may only be made to another level following the first class.
- Course fees must be paid in full prior to commencement of the course. Attendance on a course is subject to full payment of fees.