Are you worried about the Leaving Cert Irish oral exam? If so, we think this intensive weekend course would be of great benefit to you. The oral exam accounts for 40% of the overall mark for Irish in the Leaving Certificate, for both ordinary and higher level students. This course provides you with the study notes, tools and confidence to effectively demonstrate your language skills and achieve the highest marks possible in the oral exam.
This intensive course will consist of three sessions at the following times:• Session 1, Friday between 7.00-9.00pm • Session 2, Saturday between 9.00-11.00am • Session 3, Saturday between 12.00-2.00pm. The course will focus on the key topics covered in the oral exam. Students will have the opportunity to practice and improve their communication and speaking skills in a virtual classroom with a friendly, helpful atmosphere. Students will also improve and enhance their vocabulary and knowledge of grammar. Throughout this interactive course, participants will have the opportunity to ask questions of the course teacher. The ‘Sraith Pictiúr’ will be discussed in detail and students will be given comprehensive notes so that they can present each of these pictures effectively on the day of the examination. The course will focus on all aspects of the oral examination, including reading passages. This course will be delivered entirely online, so no matter where you are located in the country you’ll have the opportunity to get help and advice from expert tutors who will make positive contributions toward your oral exam. In addition to the live sessions, participants will have access to additional support in the form of an e-learning programme on ranganna.com for six months. This programme alone is worth €95 and is packed with interactive exercises, comprehensive notes, and video and audio files focusing on this year's 'Sraith Pictiúr' and other key topics. Gaelchultúr is committed to providing an expert quality service to ensure that course participants achieve the highest marks possible in the oral examination. We achieve this by: • a maximum of 20 students in each class • providing comprehensive study notes • Excellent teachers with years of experience in dealing with the education system and the Leaving Certificate • Six-month access to the e-learning programme ‘Béaltriail gan Stró!’ on ranganna.com, valued at €95 This intensive preparatory course costs €195. This course has been developed by education and language expert Reuben Ó Conluain M.A. Reuben has spent his working life teaching Irish to teenagers and adults. He spent many summers in the Donegal Gaeltacht running the Summer Courses. During this time, he also worked on many television and radio programmes that focused on the teaching and learning of Irish and developed a range of helpful educational resources. He has been a Consultant Examiner at Leaving Certificate Oral Examinations for over twenty years. He spent three years on secondment to the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NCCA) where he was Post-Primary Irish Education Officer. He is particularly interested in methods and resources to attract learners of Irish to the spoken language.
Our teaching approach
Gaelchultúr has developed comprehensive syllabuses and every class at every level follows these syllabuses.
The communicative approach to language teaching is used by Gaelchultúr’s teachers, giving learners the opportunity to play an active part in each class.
A strong emphasis is placed on group and pair work and learners therefore have a chance to practise what they’ve been taught. The main focus is on speaking and listening in all classes, but reading and writing activities also feature.Learn more about us
Terms and Conditions
- Course fees may be refunded in full to a learner up to five working days prior to the commencement of the course. The refund must by requested by contacting Gaelchultúr’s staff by email or by phone. (Our contact details can be found here.)
- If, following the first class, the student decides that he/she would like to discontinue the course, 60% of the total fee will be refunded to him/her. Thereafter, no refund will be made to the student.
- Gaelchultúr Teoranta has the right to cancel a class or to amalgamate classes.
- If it is necessary to cancel a class, every effort will be made to place the participants in another class or to register them for an online course. A full refund will be made to the customer if these options do not suit him/her.
- A student may defer his/her registration only once. If he/she wishes to defer registration, he/she must notify Gaelchultúr’s staff of this by week three of the course. No refund will be made to the student if he/she does not accept a place on the next course he/she is due to attend.
- Gaelchultúr will accept no responsibility in the event that a student registers at the wrong level. We advise our students to do our online Irish test or to seek our advice to ensure that they are undertaking the correct level.
- If a student wants to move to another level, we cannot guarantee that a space will be available for him/her at that level. Should a space be available, Gaelchultúr will charge a €10 administration fee for making the change. A change may only be made to another level following the first class.
- Course fees must be paid in full prior to commencement of the course. Attendance on a course is subject to full payment of fees.